[Ansteorra] toddler tethers (was: Feeding toddlers at events)

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 12:10:49 PDT 2009

I have found an illustration of three of James the first's children,
big sister (maybe 7 yrs old) holding the leading strings for the
youngest(2 or 3yrs old) who looked like she just wanted to play (and
important to me, holding a doll).

alex

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Coblaith Muimnech
<Coblaith at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel  asked:
>>
>> . . .I'm appealing to you all for advice on what to feed a 16 month old
>> child at an event.
>
> Lady Kaitlan wrote:
>>
>> you might also think of how to keep track of him... I know that when I was
>> in public with my children when they were little, I used a large dog collar
>> and leash. . .
>
> There's a 16th-century illustration at
> <http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI05036f02a.jpg> that shows a young toddler
> being supported by a strip of cloth slung around his chest and under his
> arms, the ends held by a caregiver.  Their use is similar to that of leading
> strings <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_strings>, which were a common
> part of life in the 17th through the early 19th centuries.  I would think
> you could use or adapt that approach to something that would keep the kid in
> arm's reach without being obtrusively modern, if you felt you needed it.
>

> Coblaith Muimnech
> <mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>

So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…