[Ansteorra] Caveat Emptor

Robert Atwood rob at mummersguild.com
Wed Aug 19 14:19:01 PDT 2009

Posting to the list since it could help someone in a similar
situation...

Something to consider: if you have the original invoice, you could go
to your card provider and contest the charge.  Just the threat of that
is generally enough to get a price-gouging service provider to back
down.  In order to prevent unscrupulous people from doing such things,
the bank that handles their merchant account (a special credit-card
processing account with lots of contractual obligations for the
account holder) will generally allow a very limited number of charge-
backs due to fraud claims.

This works best, of course, if you order something, say, online and it
never shows up... Having signed the slip, your position is
compromised, but you still have a legitimate complaint.  So, if you
have the original invoice and are fighting mad (I would be) your next
step would be to let your credit card company take the fight to them,
or at least rattle that saber a bit.

Just my two cents,

Robert o' the Faire (to partly cloudy)