[Ansteorra] Hnefatafl boards

deboramarzec at aol.com deboramarzec at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 14:19:38 PDT 2009

Tafl boards came in various sizes from 7x7 to 19x19. They were always an odd number grid to allow the King to start the game on the center square. You can use chess, checkers type boards but then you must play on the intersecting points as opposed to within the squares of the board. This can be confusing when learning to play, particularly with the alternating color pattern of the chess type board.

I suggest using a pencil drawn 11" x11" board on a piece of cardboard to begin with. I find the printed out 'boards' a little small to play on comfortably. Looking at the suggested web sites will give you the start position for the pieces. You can just use the glass flat bottomed beads they sell at Hobby Lobby with your King piece being marked with a blob of paint.

For the 11x11 board you need 12?light pieces plus a King and for the dark you need 24 pieces.

Hope this helps.

Debora.