[Ansteorra] Stargate Yule Revel Contest reminders

Lauren Norman lmnorman at uh.edu
Wed Dec 2 13:27:44 PST 2009

Gentles, as Stargate's Yule Revel is drawing close, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind all of the many spectacular conests we will be holding throughout the day.

First, we are honored and excited to be hosting the Kingdom Eisteddfod, where His Majesty will witness the excellence of our Kingdom's bards, and select one above all the others to serve Ansteorra as Premier Bard.  For information on the contest format and timing, please contact our current Kingdom Bard, Lady Catrin ferch Maelgwn at LadyCatrin at gmail dot com.

The Barony of Stargate would also invite all bards present to vie for the honor of taking the title of Stargate Bard, as well.  Lord Goldweard of St. Golias (Goldweard at yahoo dot com) has chosen to select his successor through three rounds of competition.  For the first round, bards must have a patron for their performance.  The second two rounds will be a piece of the bard's choice.  For more information, please contact Lord Goldweard.

In addition to choosing a bard, Stargate will also be choosing its new titled Artisan.  The contest will be a body-of-work competition, with a single item selected for scoring.  Artisans with special requirements for their display (proximity to outlets, etc.) are encouraged to email Stargate's Minister of A&S, HLd Thomas atte Woode (attewoode at gmail.com) ahead of time so that arrangements can be made.

Stargate's annual table decorating contest is back this year.  Tables adhering to the event theme will be given extra consideration, but are not requred.  The majority of tables available will be round, not rectangular, so please prepare accordingly.  If you *must* have a rectangular table, please email me so that arrangements can be made.  This year's winning entry will be awarded a beautiful holiday wreath, hand-crafted by an artisan in our barony of greenery and dried italian herbs.

Costumers, we invite you to come strut your stuff and show off your fabulous creations in Stargate's annual costume contest.  Documentation is not required, but if you're matching a portrait, by all means, bring a copy.  Entrants will be asked to provide details for our announcer--this is your time to show off!  Did you do that beading yourself?  Is that silk dyed with period dyes?  Did you pattern that dress from scratch?  Tell us about it!  Any costume is welcome, so long as its' the wearer's work, or the wearer is entering on behalf of the person who created it.  The winning costume will be awarded a basket of goodies useful to any costumer.  Also, while wearing your fabulous finery, please take the opportunity to get those lovely photos we so often forget to take at our "photo booth".  We'll have an area set aside for photos, with a solid fabric backdrop and two beautiful period chairs for seated portraits.

Last but not least, we will be collecting new and gently used toys to benefit Toys for Tots.  Each toy donated will get the donor a raffle ticket, and at the end of the day, a drawing will be held.  The winning ticketholder will be gifted with a hand-crafted viking six-board chest, made in a size that allows it to serve double-duty as additional seating.  For those who forget to bring toys, cash donations will also be accepted and awarded tickets at the rate of $5 each.  The SCA has a proud history of generosity to this very worthy charity, and we'd be thrilled to be able to top last year's donations.

With all the above in mind, I bid you all safe travels this weekend wherever you're going, and I look forward to seeing some of you saturday!

In Service,

Isolde die Waeyer
Event Steward, Stargate Yule/Eisteddfod 2009

Lauren Norman
409.739.5645