[Ansteorra] FW: [Announcements] Laurel Office Request for Feedback on the Rules forSubmissions

Katrina katrinaofyork at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 21:36:36 PST 2009

From: announcements-bounces at lists.sca.org
[mailto:announcements-bounces at lists.sca.org] On Behalf Of Patrick Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:52 AM
To: announcements at sca.org
Subject: [Announcements] Laurel Office Request for Feedback on the Rules for Submissions

    To those to whom these words come, greetings from Olwynn ni
Chinneidigh, Laurel Queen of Arms and Juliana de Luna, Palimpsest Herald.

    The Laurel office is starting to review our policies and procedures for
    submissions.  We expect that the eventual outcome will be a complete
    rewrite of the Rules for Submissions.

    To start this process, we're asking the populace and heralds to give us
    feedback about the heraldic submissions process and how it should work.
    A survey which asks some basic questions can be found at:
    <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GLJZDDZ> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GLJZDDZ
   We'd appreciate it if interested people would take time to answer the questions there.  Anyone can complete this; we promise to read all answers.  We expect the
survey to take fifteen to twenty minutes.  Additional comments about or
ideas for this process can be sent to <mailto:rules at heraldry.sca.org>
rules at heraldry.sca.org.

    We have several goals for this process:
    -    to make the Rules for Submissions easier to use for heralds and
    submitters alike
    -    to reduce discrepancies between the Rules as written and the rules
    as applied
    -    to reflect on the degree of authenticity we want for the
    registration process and how best to codify rules to evaluate it
    -    to reconsider the level of difference we should require between
    names and devices for registration

    In all areas, the Society for Creative Anachronism has moved towards
    progressively better understandings of what people did in our period.
    Given this, we are not interested in discussing rules changes that would
    substantially lower our standards for registration of names and armory.
    But we are interested in exploring ways to make it easier for people
    register items that are in period style, whether or not they fit the
    rules as they currently exist.  We welcome ideas about how to do that
    from all sources.

    We look forward to hearing from you!  The deadline for the survey is
    January 31; we will continue to accept comments by e-mail until the
    review of the rules is completed.  Please forward this message to other
    mailing lists, so that as many people as possible can respond.

    Juliana and Olwynn