[Ansteorra] Last tent observation

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Dec 28 09:47:36 PST 2009

  tents observation from a old grandmother and a 40+ years member
Duchess Willow de Wisp
Please remember that SCA'er take up more room than backpacker. So if the tent holds 6 it will only hold 3 SCA ladies. You fighter are not so much better. Middle eastern dancers are a problem too. Duchess are twice as bad. When I used to go to War preparing to fight, Dance and be a Duchess I take up the room for 4 people. The only thing that makes it easier is that I am not late period. Sometimes one of those dresses take up an whole tent.
Another thing to take into account is height. It really puts many men into a bad mood  if they are always hitting their heads when they try to stand up. They don't really notice it but if you are their "significant other" you will notice it.
A good tent and camping area that is comfortable and maintains the spirit of "Being at the War!!" will go a long way to making the event a truly wonderful one.
My mother would say if you can not fix everything  take a corner and do it up and then look at it.
It is "camp mommy"'s job to make a cold and wet event be a "magic" time and just a little work on your camp can do that.
I was going to ramble on about personal experiences but I got tired.
willow