[Ansteorra] Sad Tidings

Paul Foster sir.rhodri at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:28:35 PST 2009

The news about Christoforo reached me this morning as I sat at work.

Later, I stood at the rail of the ship I am currently on, staring across the
miles of Pacific Ocean and letting the wind dry my face.  That vast stretch
of water reminded me of a poem by Kessinger:

"Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining
Is a measure of how you will be missed."

You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop and you'll find that in no time
It looks quite the same as before."

While I understood the author's intent, I also know the water in the bucket
has no time to get to know your hand.  I have been fortunate enough to have
known Christoforo for many, many years.  Life and living will continue for
me, things will appear mostly the same as before, but the hole that has been
left within will be there for a long time to come.

I will greatly miss my friend.

Rhodri