[Ansteorra] Fwd: [Steppes] Forwarded from the Ansteorran list - Sad Tidings

swieland3 at austin.rr.com swieland3 at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 12:13:35 PST 2009

I regret that I did not know this man.  My sympathy to the family and to friends for their loss.

Deepest regards,
Damaris of Greenhill

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

> Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:47:42 -0600
> From: jasiwolf at gmail.com
> To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Ansteorra] Fwd: [Steppes] Forwarded from the Ansteorran list - Sad	Tidings

"If democracy and self-rule are the fundamentals, then why should
people give up these rights when they enter their workplace? In
politics we fight like tigers for freedom, for the right to elect our
leaders, for freedom of movement, choice of residence, choice of what
work to pursue -- control of our lives, in short. And then we wake up
in the morning and go to work, and all those rights disappear.  We no
longer insist on them.  And so for most of the day we return to
feudalism.  That is what capitalism is -- a version of feudalism in
which capital replaces land, and business leaders replace kings.  But
the hierarchy remains.  And so we still hand over our lives' labor,
under duress, to feed rulers who do no real work."

Kim Stanley Robinson. Blue Mars. New York: Bantam. 1996. p. 116.