[Ansteorra] Candlemas Feast

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 08:58:40 PST 2009

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of those who contributed to yesterday's feast at Candlemas.  A lot of work went into the feast, and in the end, only a small portion of it was mine.

Before all others, I must thank my wife, Lady Gretchen Kronnewetter.  She cut greens, peeled onions, mixed cookies, tried foods, made suggestions, put up with me, and took care of an endless stream of things I should have been doing instead of cooking.  She inspires and allows me to be a better me.

Mistress Saundra  mentored me, helping me accomplish my goals on a reasonable budget

Lady Theresa, Master Pug, Mistress Mfanwy and Mistress Gwynneth helped prepare food prior to the event.

Mistress Suzanne kept the kitchen in line and kept my head from exploding.

Lord Lucius, Lady Theresa and Lord Wolf and young Jessica agreed to help in the kitchen on the day of the event.

Lady Ysabeau led the servers.

Lady Magdelena led the cleaners, letting me and the kitchen staff walk away from a very dirty kitchen

Lord Phillipe who got drafted to herald feast at a moments notice and shone as always

I was astounded by the willingness of people to help.  I should know that in this barony, in this kingdom, in this society, that there will never be a want of willing hands when work needs to be done, but I was overwhelmed by the number of eager volunteers who asked to help in the kitchen.  When something needed to be done, there was always at least one person to do it.  There is a lot of drudge work involved in cooking a feast and I truly honor those who spend a day doing that work for very little recognition.  So many were willing to work that some had to be turned away for a lack of work to be done, and they too deserve my thanks.

In no particular order, Lord Conor McLeod, Centurion Tarquin, Lady Kerrialishe (sp?), Lady Asha and Lord Elwin gave much of their day to the kitchen.

I am nearly certain that I have overlooked some (possibly many), who made contributions both large and small.  Your contributions are appreciated even if my feeble mind has momentarily forgotten the details.

Finally I want to thank the populace of Bryn Gwlad, and Mistress Myfanwy in particular, for entrusting me with this Candlemas feast.  In spite of the fact that I had never cooked an SCA feast before, she was willing to not only place a central facet of her event in my hands, but to allow me to take risks on the menu, the scheduling and the numbers.  I never doubted her confidence in me, and I truly appreciate her trust.

In the middle of the second course, I looked out into the hall, at a crowd of faces illuminated by candles, enjoying their food and their friends, and I was There.  I have enjoyed preparing this feast as much as I have enjoyed anything in the SCA, and I look forward to the opportunity to do so again.

Gyula Fatthiopap Laszlo
Candlemas Feast Steward