[Ansteorra] Soup

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 09:11:04 PST 2009

Several people asked for the recipe for the soup last night.

INGREDIENTS
	* 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
	* 6 cups water
	* 1 small onion, peeled and diced
	* 1 bay leaf
	* 3 sprigs Italian flat leaf parsley
	* 2 sprigs fresh thyme
	* 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
	* 1  pounds greens - rinsed, stems removed and cut into 1/2 inch slices  (I used a equal mix of Mustard, Chard and Turnip, but any greens will do)
	* 2 tablespoons olive oil
	* 1 large onion, finely chopped
	* 4 cloves garlic, crushed
	* 1/2 cup lemon juice
	* 1 lb. ground sausage  ( I used pork breakfast sausage)

DIRECTIONS
	1. In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, 6 cups of water, 1 small onion, bay leaf, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.  Strain, and reserve 8 cups of the broth for the recipe.
	2. Brown Sausage in a skillet.

	3. Stir in lentils and sausage, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 1 hour.
	4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the large onion, and cook until transparent, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, and cook for just a minute, until fragrant. Place the chard in the pan, and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
	5. Transfer the chard and onion mixture to the pot with the lentils. Stir in the lemon juice. Simmer covered for an additional 15 minutes before serving.
I cooked all of the soup served at the feast over a month ago and froze it.  I noticed no change in flavor.  I welcome anyone to use this recipe.  It's modified from one I got off the internet.  I really like it and would love to eat it without having to cook it.

Laszlo