[Ansteorra] easy clothes for Gulf War

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Feb 9 17:27:25 PST 2009

Ladies
You are overwhelmed with making all the outfits for all your men  and you are worried that you will end up at the War in your under dress and blanket.
Don't worry that is period. Many years ago Mistress Aurelian showed me how to drape an early period Irish dress. You take a length of fabric and attach it at the shoulders with pins and then belt it with a wide leather belt. This is better if worn over an under dress because sometimes the wind makes it immodest.
 I will be at the war and if you want me to show you how to do this bring a length of pretty fabric that goes from your shoulder to your hand and back again.,Stripes and checks and plaid do wonderfully. The fabric should flow so it will drape properly. You will need  two pins and they don't have to match and a belt with a buckle. Tie belts and Norman loop belts just don't work. And of course jewelery. Beads and Amber are great. Gold is great also.  Cuff bracelets look great  The Anglo Saxon ladies worn something close to this and they put holes in their belt and hung their stuff on it.
We could all get together and make an Early Period Day of it .
If you want to feed my Lord and myself for a meal. I have some beads and faux amber and brooches to trade.
Another very easy style to do is Coptic. You don't have to wear under dresses or shirts with this. And you can simply turn the edges down to finish the neck. I prefer to do this by hand because I can't make a nice edge on the sewing machine. The basic shape is a rectangle with two lines of decoration going up and down on it.
Sometime we have bought fabric and after it was washed it was too soft. That fabric makes great Coptic tunics. I will tell you that after a day of fighting that soft tunic feels great.
Gentlemen you don't know how to sew. Get yourself a loose weave Linen. Make a rectangle that fits over your hips and shoulders. Hand sew the edge to just under the armpit. Cut the other side so that its slit is same size. Get two brooches and connect the shoulders and put it over your head and belt it with wide belt. Wear a necklace. Wearing jewelery makes you look complete. In period men wore this outfit with sandals.
I am now going to say something that might make the Laurels take my Laurel privileges away. If you can't find any pants. Please do not wear blue jeans. Go get sweatpants. You might look at the local thrift store they may have elastic waist paints that are made from a non knitted fabric and sometime are in colors and patterns. Look in the larger women's sizes. Big baggy striped pants tucked into your boots are very Norse .
I have found that a pair of shorts under this keeps you modest. Most men do not know how to sit in short shirts and maintain their Modesty. They didn't get the lecture about keeping your knees together.
I will try to find so Web Site with more complete info. If any of you out there know of any sites or these tunics or any quick and dirty garb ideas please past ideas along.
If you have any questions call me or write me. I am stuck at home and would like the conpany.
817-719-3602. If I talk to much just tell me " you think you have enough information at this time"  Ot "Thank you willow but I have to go and take care of  my cat now. "
willow de wisp

..