[Ansteorra] easy clothes for Gw

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Thu Feb 12 01:24:26 PST 2009

Dear Sonja I loved your site.
Now all of you have been overwhelmed by the sites and ideas so I am going to break it down for you.
Number one someday I hope you will take the time to make one of those multi gored shirts but it is OK if you just take that t-tunic  that you were taught and add a simple tunic. For you ladies put one of those wonderful bog or tube tunics over your regular T-tunic .under dress.
Please put all the wonderful data in a safe place and after the War maybe we all will try our hand and come in those outfits. How about Warlord? They look like great hot weather outfits.
Here are a few things to remember about early and simple outfits.
Don't be afraid of color.If Early people loved color and contrast. In real life not everyone could have color but the stories talk about it. Color makes an outfit.
 I think one of the best out fits I ever saw was Mistress Aurelian dressed in a bright blue under dress one of those tube dresses in red caught with brooches she had made from buttons.. Her hair which was almost black in five plaits with golden balls at the end and a blue,and red hair band.  She was wearing a torque and matching metal bracelets. She had a black belt but I don't remember much about it and gillies on her feet. She was wearing a Plaid rectangle cloak I think the plaid was blue, red and yellow and she had put a golden border on the cloak with some kind of design she had painted.
The out fit is really simple but it looked great.
They liked to put things together that contrasted. Today we tend to lean on shades of the same color but the dyeing process was not as uniformed as it today. Putting two colors that contrasted was safe.
Trim was used to pull things together. Do any of you have any of those woven belt out there that are in most prize baskets. Now is the time to us them. Put them on your necklines and cuffs. Use one style on the neck and another on the bottom of the tunic. Period people often didn't have enough of one things to do everything so they mixed and matched.
When I am doing wall hangings I often run into paintings that have three side one design and one side that is different. It is strange.
It is OK to cut them. I really believe that the people who made them would like you to use them rather than leaving them in that special box you have them in.  Go to the thrift store and buy one of those belts from India made from the circles of leather. They usually have a round belt buckle that has a hook that goes in a hole. Cut the leather off where the belt buckle attaches and fold over your trim and rivet it on with leather rivets. Or go to your local armorer and get him to put it together. I have found that those medal Chinese scissors will cut all of that stuff. Of course the belt will do just as it is.
People say I write to much so I will stop now.
Think about coming to Warlord in early period. I am planning a late night Bardic and dessert and coffee fest. The early period clothes sound pleasant after a hot Sat.
Everyone please plan to come. I will be offering a prize for the best treat and putting together a bunch of rowdy Picts, Scots and Norse types to judge. That should be fun to watch.
Willow