[Ansteorra] Sad Kingdom Law Change

Vicki Marsh vmarsh at twmarsh.net
Sun Feb 15 11:29:57 PST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Mistress Xene wrote:
    <The first is to comply with the change at the Society level to remove

    reference to the office of Waterbearer. >

    This poses some interesting questions:

  No, it really doesn't.

    Perhaps it doesn't require thought and questioning on your part, but
there are some who might want to know and understand the decision-making
process behind those who sometimes seemingly make decisions arbitrarily. I
was attempting to open discussion and foster a transparency in the
governance of the SCA that has been quite lacking of late.

    I, too, believe very strongly in self-regulation, self-determination and
self-care. Less Bureaucracy is a *good thing*, just like lower taxes are a
*good thing*. However, handing down a policy change in any organization is
best done with addressing questions about the change at the same time, or
even prior to the implementation of said change.

    5) Or is this a precursor to the Society-wide demise of the
Chirurgeonate,

    as well?

  While I know and like a number of chiurgeons, the ones like those who
didn't want my friend the RN tend to me when my knee went, (or my other
friend the MD) need to go.

  I'm sorry you had an issue with a chirurgeon. Last time I was warranted
and active, stepping aside to allow an injured victim to pick their
preferred method of care was always part of the standard training within the
Chirurgeonate.

   7) Are YOU willing to drink from an unknown water supply, that may or may
not be properly disinfected or cared for?
  How has this changed?  Does taking away their office suddenly make someone
sloppy? I think not. She'll still be just as careful, and just as hard
working.

   No, it might not make him or her sloppy, but it might remove the
incentive to attend training on proper procedures. Not everyone is a
sanitation engineer or chemist.

  One of the reasons that chirurgeons in the past went through an
apprenticeship and training was to ensure that they understood best
practices in emergency care, modern laws that govern  the rules of the SCA,
as well as the temperment to represent the group well. Before it became an
office, any EMT wannabe could call themselves a chirurgeon and leap onto the
field, pushing themselves into the fighter and marshall's faces. It became
very bad for awhile. So as a group, we tried to self-regulate and train
others using best practices.
    If no one is in charge, then no one is responsible or liable. Especially
the

    SCA, Inc.

  That would be the point. The SCA can get sued when one of it's officers
screws up.
   Isn't an event steward a warranted officer for the duration of the event?
In any event, the SCA , Inc. can get sued no matter what. Ask any attorney.

  Iago
  Who thinks water bearers are awesome, office or no.

  Xene, who believes in open, honest, and transparent bureacracy. And likes
asking questions.....and bugging friends......and trying to look at change
from all directions.