[Ansteorra] Youth combat sword confusion

donnelshaw at aol.com donnelshaw at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 16:03:30 PST 2009

Thank you.

Donnel

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Cargill <caedmon_l at yahoo.com>
To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
Sent: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 1:35 pm
Subject: [Ansteorra] Youth combat sword confusion

Just wanted to explain some of the rules for sword making, and why
changes had
been made.

6-9 year olds originally could only use golf tube with half inch of
padding.  We
changed the rule to allow 1/2 inch pvc or Rattan so the swords would
last
longer.

Also, all pvc swords were to be capped.  We changed this because if you
made
your sword with the minimum half inch of padding the cap could be felt
as a hard
"knot" on the end of the sword and would leave bruises on the kids with
out much
effort.  For this reason we do not require the ends to be capped.  This
is
primarily for non thrusting weapons.  If you build a sword with a
thrusting tip
then I would go ahead and cap the end since the tip would need to be
built up to
2 and 1/2 inches anyway.

 NOTE the 6-9 year olds cannot use thrusting weapons.

Thanks,
 Caedmon

The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle. - On
Combat