[Ansteorra] Water Bearing at Gulf Wars?

Tom Kyle tomkyle2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:14:04 PST 2009

On waterbearing in general:

I'd like to comment on this subject.  First let me introduce myself:  I'm
Lord Tomas mac Caoil, recently re-located to Desoto from Las Vegas
(Starkhafn, CAID).  Our Barony has always had very active waterbearers,
often supplying 1/2 or more of the waterbearers at any given local war.  We
even went so far in Starkhafn as to make it a tounge-in-cheek "office", the
Admiralty.  See, NSTIW, sitting around a campfire talking politics a few
years ago, severaly northern baronies formed the "Northern Alliance", a new
battle unit, still loyal to Kingdom, but outside the brigade structure.  It
was a mild form of protest by the "bastard stepchildren" outlying baronies.
One thing they agreed on was that everyone would hold the rank of "general",
in deference to some of the current politics.  One active waterbearer said,
"well, if the fighters get to be generals, can the water bearers be
admirals?"  The name stuck.  All northern alliance waterbearers have been
known as admirals ever since.  They are also afforded equal billing with
fighters, marshals and chirurgeons in Starkhafn's "veteran's cloak" program,
whereby each figher (or waterbearer, etc.) is awarded a cloak after serving
with the barony for 5 or more wars.

As a heavy fighter, I have always and will continue to respect and
appreciate everyone that chooses to serve the dream by waterbearing.  It is
necessary, whether formalized or not.  Just because it can't be an
"official" office doesn't mean it can't continue to be well-organized and
planned.

Just my $0.02.

Tomas