[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for January

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 22:01:23 PST 2009

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my first Florilegium artilce for 2009.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
monthly article before I post it to the Internet so you can print it
in your newsletter, please contact me.

If you have written any A&S documentation, especially any papers,
please consider sending them to me for possible inclusion in the
Florilegium.  This is a wonderful way to let others learn from the
effort you have been putting in as well as letting folks know what
you are doing.  I especially encourage Laurels to get their
apprentices to send in papers. Since I will take updates to any
articles the papers can always be improved later as more is learned.

Thanks,
      Stefan
--------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    Basic-Beer-art       "The Basics of Beer Making" by THL George Anne.
In the ANIMALS section:
    Sadle-Blankts-art    "Treasures Under the Saddle (16th Century
                            Persian Saddle Blanket)" by The Honorable
                            Lady Maria de Andalusia.
In the ARCHERY section:
    P-Arch-Target-art    "A Period Archery Target for the SCA"
                            by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf OL, OP.
In the CRAFTS section:
    Workng-Tallow-art    "Working With Tallow" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the CULTURES section:
    Poland-bib           Some books on medieval Poland from Magnus.
    Medvl-Poland-art     "Introduction to Medieval Poland"
                            by Metressa Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
In the FEASTS section:
    kitchen-tips-msg     Practical, short kitchen tips for SCA feasts.
In the FOOD section:
    mincemeat-pie-msg    Period mincemeat pies. Recipes.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
    Calontr-Jerky-art    "Sex Red Wine Jerky - the Calontir Army
                            Standard" by Bns. Jenna of Southwind.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    wine-jelly-msg       Period and modern jellies made with wine.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
    Rushlights-art       "Working With Rushlights" by Master Bedwyr
Danwyn.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
    On-Vocal-Perf-art    "On Vocal Performance" by Mathurin Kerbuss.
    Story-Toolbox-art    "Storyteller’s Tool Box - Bringing
                            characters to life!" by THL Thomas
Whitehart.
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
    DFofH-Firepit-art    A firepit that sets up large and packs down
                            small by Duke Frederick of Holland.
In the SCA-STORIES section:
    SCA-cheers-msg       Kingdom cheers. Vivat vs. Huzzah.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    butter-msg           Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.
    bread-stuffed-msg    Period stuffed bread. Rastons. Recipes.
    meat-pies-msg        Period meat pies. Recipes.
    Middle-East-msg      Info. on the period Middle East.
    Moghul-India-msg     The culture and food of Moghul India.
    organ-meats-msg      Period cooking of organ meats.
    pies-msg             Period pie crusts, meat and fruit pies.
    pulled-sugar-msg     The case for and against pulled/spun sugar
                            being period.
    seaweed-msg          Use of seaweed as food and for other uses.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas