[Ansteorra] A/S LIST

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 5 11:06:43 PST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 10:50 AM, hal johnson wrote:

> HI IM LOOKING FOR ANYONE WHO HAS A INSTERST IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS

Greetings Lord Harold,

I'm not sure from this whether you are  interested in starting some
sort of formal guilds, just looking to correspond with people with
similar interests or looking for general info on these topics.

If the latter, there are files on most of these subjects in the
Florilegium. See my sig line below for the address if you've never
been there. For instance, here are a few files which occur to me:

> 1. TUMBLING/VINTING

I'm not sure I see a connection between tumbling and vinting, unless
the former is what you do if you do too much of the latter.
For the latter, check the various files in the BEVERAGES section such
as:
Ale-a-Beer-lnks   (13K)  5/27/05    Links to info on medieval ales
and beers
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
bev-distilled-msg(132K) 10/10/08    Medieval distilled beverages.
Distilling.

For the former:
jesters-msg       (15K)  9/20/99    Court jesters, jonglers.
juggling-msg      (68K)  4/18/97    Jugglers in SCA and period.

> 2. WEAVING
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
weaving-msg      (140K)  2/26/08    Weaving, types of cloth.Weaving
techniques.
> 3. DYEING
dyeing-msg       (176K) 12/30/04    Dyeing techniques and discussion.
dye-list-art       (9K)  2/28/00    A list of period plant dyes by
Moriel.
> 4. ILLUMINATION
Check the SCRIBAL ARTS section.
> 5. JEWELRY MAKEING
In the ACCESSORIES section:
jewelry-msg       (78K)  1/17/08    Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.
In the CRAFTS section:
jwlry-soldrng-art (12K)  9/22/08    "Jewelry Soldering Simplified"
                                        by HL HRothgar Thorsson.
> 6, SPINNING
spinning-msg      (56K)  1/19/08    Spinning wheels, spindles.
techniques.
> 7. LACE MAKING/LAPIDARY
lace-msg          (76K)  9/10/99    Making lace in period and SCA.
Bobbin-Lace-art   (18K) 10/ 4/01    "Making 16th Century Bobbin Lace" by
                                        Mistress Francesca la Curiosa.
amber-msg         (17K)  5/ 2/01    Period use of amber. What it is.
How to buy.
lapidary-msg      (21K)  9/17/99    Period and SCA gemstone cutting.
A-Lapidary-art    (32K)  3/31/99    Period descriptions and virtues
of gemstones
                                        by Agnes deLanvallei.
> 8. PAPERMAKING
papermaking-msg   (23K)  8/24/99    Producing pulp, making handmade
paper.
> 9. RIDDLES
In the PERIOD-THOUGHT section:
riddles-msg       (12K) 10/23/08    Medieval riddles.
> 10.RUG MAKING
I don;'t have much. What about weaving tapestries rather than rugs?
tapestries-msg    (31K)  2/14/01    Medieval and SCA tapestries.
>                                               YIS LD HAROLD GRAYBEAR

I hope this gives you some info to start from.

If anyone has written any how-to articles or history-of articles on
these subjects, I'd love to consider them for the Florilegium, for
just such inquiries.  These would be good articles for apprentices to
consider writing to show they know the subject or to begin
researching a subject with.  After all, I do accept updates as you
learn more about a subject.  (hint, hint, Laurels :-) )

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com