[Ansteorra] need carnival mask info

lambdakennels1 at juno.com lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Sun Jan 11 05:44:36 PST 2009

Honorable Lord Stefan,

Thank you very much.  This gives me a place to start.
Lady Stephanie Lilburn

-- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
On Jan 10, 2009, at 9:35 PM, lambdakennels1 at juno.com wrote:

> I am a simple woodworker, and know little of carnivals and masked
> balls.  I will be accompanied to the Carnival in Venice by a great
> lady who asks questions I cannot answer on such things.  I seek
> information on the appropriate dress for the ball, and of how to
> decorate a mask for it.  Will some Gentle with more knowledgable
> than I kindly direct me to such resources as can be trusted on
> these things?  You who take pity on me will earn my eternal gratitude.
>
> Lady Stephanie Lilburn

If you are speaking of a specific event, I probably can't be of much
help there. However, if you are asking about masque balls in general
and in the making of masks, perhaps these files in the PERFORMANCE
ARTS section of the Florilegium might be of use:

Mask-Making-art   (16K) 12/26/00    "Mask Making 101 - A History of
Masks and
                          Instructions..." by Lady Meliora Leuedai
de Ardescote
masks-msg         (61K)  9/26/04    Theatrical masks. Period and modern.
masks-mumming-lnks (12K)  2/15/04    Web links to medieval masks,
mumming and
                                       Masques by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.
masque-msg         (6K)  5/22/08    A dramatic art of poetry, music
and dance.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas