[Ansteorra] Getting the most out of AS comments

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Thu Jan 22 20:00:54 PST 2009

On the Bard's list we have been discussing the value of written comment. And I realized what I have done different from many many other people.
I don't stress over the written critique on the judging form because I almost always misunderstand it. If the judge puts down something that interest me or if they give me a score that makes me confused I always go to the judge and talk to them.
I try to be polite but since I am a intense person I am sure I often come up too  forcefully but all the times that I have talked to them I have learned.
I am not saying jump in the judge'sb face but I am saying talk to them. When you talk to them listen carefully. Really nice people will give you very quiet cues. They will always try to tell you something nice first. So listen for the "but" after the nice thing. And always ask an open ended question after the end of the conversation. "Is there any other advice you can give me." and smile. Don't be surprised if something comes out that didn't want to hear.
Really nice people have a very hard time telling you negative things. Ansteorra has enough of the old South to sugar coat everything. Please be nice to them after they give you the feedback. Most people in Ansteorra really don't want to say negative things. But we need to hear what wasn't totally right so we can improve.
I was at Laurel Prize Tourney and there was a wonderful artist who had did a wall painting. I saw some little things that made it look unfinished. I walked back and forth trying to find the words to tell the artist what I saw. I finally when to them and spoke. I felt I was totally tack-less.
the next A&S she was there with her piece and I almost turned and ran when she came up to me, but she was so happy. She had changed the things I had talked about and she had gotten so much good feedback. I was so happy for her and I was happy she had listened to me.
I am not a judge first. I am a teacher first and any comment I give is for the purpose of improving the artist. Most people who judge in Ansteorra are trying to help you and if you go talk to them I think you will find that out.
Mistress Willow de Wisp