[Ansteorra] medieval scissors and shears (was: Duchess found Treasure contest)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 14:36:06 PDT 2009

willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:
> Here are the medieval scissors.
> http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodMetalp.html
> If you look at these they are the same as can be bought today. . .

The site of the Swedish Historical Museum has several other photos of
medieval shears.  I used a couple of them in my article on the period
sewing kit I made for Bryn Gwlad's Yule gift exchange last year
<http://coblaith.net/PeriodPresents/SewingKit/default.html>.  If you
go to their photo search engine <http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/
sok.asp?qtype=bild>, put "sax" into the "Sakord" field, select
"MEDELATID" from the pull-down menu under "Från", and click "Sök",
you'll see all of them.

You can widen or narrow the dates of the returns using the
"Från" ('from') and "Till" ('to') menus.  If you want everything from
600 to 1600, for instance, pick "vendeltid" under "Från" and  "1500-
tal" under "Till".

Coblaith Muimnech
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>