[Ansteorra] Shield beign sold on Ebay. (Was various other subjects)

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Jul 23 10:01:26 PDT 2009

While I do find this thread quite amusing, one thing I would like to throw out for thought.  By the revised description and info I would guess that the seller has gotten quite a few emails from SCA folk about this item (and the helm also I would suspect)  Probably quite a few rude or harsh ones as well.

Remember that there are any number of ways he could have legitimately come into possession of this item.  I suspect he bought a lot from a dealer in which this was but one item.  Could have ultimately started in an estate sale for a SCA member that has passed, etc.  Yes it is drastically overpriced, but it is his choice to try and sell it at that price.  No one is being forced to purchase it.  As long as he is not really misrepresenting it and the item was legally obtained, I say more power to him.  An item's true value is not just in the materials used to make it.  An item is truly worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

Emails to him correcting his information as to its probably source as a SCA item, etc are a good thing.  It allows him to clarify and make sure he represents the item as it is.  Rude or accusatory emails are not really warranted.  Remember that while yo may not be an "official" representative of the SCA, you are still likely representing the SCA to him.  He may see all the messages and say, "The SCA is a group of jerks."  If all the contact he has with the SCA is those messages then that is what the SCA is to him.  He does not care if you are an officer or an individual.

Just food for thought...

Alasdair