[Ansteorra] The Cost of Time

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:44:32 PDT 2009

The recent shield discussion, and the responses to the costs, has just
reinforced my belief that we (the SCA) and society in general have forgot
how much it costs to do *one* of an object.
Case in point, that shield probably has around $40-$50 of materials (glue,
wood, hose, maybe hidden u-channel, rope, bolts, nuts,primer, paint, finish
coat).
It also has (if I had to bet) around 20 hours of labor (cut shield,
laminate, sand, prime, outline pattern, paint, clear coat).

So if I were to pay some guy $10 per hour to do this, it would cost me
around $250 to do this shield.

If I had to run a business doing this, where I had to pay for construction
space, taxes, perhaps even health, insurance, etc etc, well, that $10 per
hour worker will cost around $25/hour.

Now the cost of that custom shield goes to $550.

Often, I feel that we in the SCA don't appreciate the monetary value of the
art works that people make.  The scrolls on our walls, the clothes, the
weapons, shields, what have you, are custom made works of art, and when we
dismiss the price on something as "too high" and "not worth that" we
diminish the effort of the artist.

I don't know who made that shield.  I know that someone probably put a lot
of energy, money, and effort into it, and might be a bit offended at some of
the comments made.

I know of many generous artisans in our kingdom and our game, who donate
work and craft and art so selflessly that is astounds me.  Let us make sure
that we keep in mind both the spiritual and the monetary value of their
work, and thank them accordingly.

My apologies for rambling, but this issue always bothers me a bit.

JP

Qui mieux fait, mieux vault.