[Ansteorra] Crown Finals

Karen French klfrench1023 at att.net
Mon Jul 13 19:35:50 PDT 2009

Spoken with true grace, Your Grace.

Caterina

________________________________
From: Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 10:52:42 AM
Subject: [Ansteorra] Crown Finals

It is common for Crown tournament announcements to declare

the winner and the second place or round robin finalists to be

just a footnote. Afterall there really is no Silver or Bronze medals

in the Society. Just the winner and everybody else.

As a long time "cheesecake eater" I'd like to tell of those who fell.

The final three were Count Romanius Valerius Scipio and Sir Louis le Blaireau

as well as Sir Owen.

Count Romanius fought beautifully, with the skill and ferocity that he

has become known for, even making Owen step back a few times.

Owen legged him but Romanus continued fighting on until struck down

with a thrust. His fight with Louis was beautiful and clean. Both fought

with precsion and care. There were several close calls but then Louis

struck Romanus in the helm with a blow that others might not have

called but His Excellency graciously saluted his victor and left the Crown

from his brow for another day. He left the field as an honor and inspiration

to Ansteorra.

The Finals were between Owen and Louis. Owen was eager and determined

to win. Louis was focused and ready for serious play. It was a battle of

the great bear versus the panther. Owen attempting to crush his opponent

with power, strength and overwhelming attacks. Louis danced from him,

trying to keep range and awaiting an opening. There were jabs and powerhouse

blows. They danced in the 122F heat indexed field from one end to the

other. Louis struck and moved but to no avail. He was struck in the leg

and when asked to yield he spoke only of his lady and continued the

fight. But he was quickly felled.

Again the panther (for, although he is called "The Badger" Louis would not

barrel through his opponent through ferocity but had to rely on speed

and movement) faced the bear and again they danced. Owen coming on

with heavy blows and overwhelming force while Louis danced back and

around trying for an opening. Then, during one of their innumerable

clashes there was a crack in the bear's defense and the panther struck.

Owen called "Nice face shot!" and crashed down.

A last time they stood. For those of you who have never been there, that

third fight of Crown is the most terrible. You are exhausted, as these two

were, and you know your future will be determined in one shot. They stood,

breathing heavily and feeling the weight of the Ansteorran sun through

leather and steel. "Lay On" was called and again it was the dance. The bear

trying to catch the elusive cat and the cat trying to avoid the crush

of the paws. There was talk from Owen but Louis only concentrated

on the fight, trying to get that opening again. After a clash, Louie

hesitated and then stated that his arm had been taken. Of course

he would not yeild. Owen wished to retain his shield but after Count

Simon talked with him he decided to replce the shield with buckler.

After all, Ansteorra holds heroes highest of all, and our King should be a

hero.

The final flurry was fast and intense. One blow from Crown or footnote.

A helm rang and Sir Louie fell to the ground.

There is far more to a Crown tournament than the person that won.

Those who win have deserved the praise they recieve but we must not

forget those who stood close and held the honor of the game because

sometimes to lose is harder than to win.

Sir Rhodri yielded to me that third fight in my last Crown. That is

courage and honor. Duke Miguel fought injured and with a glaive

in the Finals of the Crown won by His Majesty, and gave all he

had so that Hrafn can know he won with honor. Jarl Timo lost

to Duke Patrick-Michael because being a hero is more important

than being a Duke.

Give praise to our Crown and Heirs. But also praise those that stood

in their way.

Gunthar

10 time cheesecake eater.