[Ansteorra] OK Celtic Festival SCA Demo - Request for Volunteers

Sweet, Debby deborah.s.sweet at okstate.edu
Fri Jun 5 08:40:38 PDT 2009

(please forward to other appropriate lists) (Sorry for duplications)

Do you like Celtic music? Cooking? Irish Dancing? Animals? Shopping? Eating? Or would you just like a fun time with some of your SCA friends?

Then come help the Province of Mooneschadowe at the Oklahoma Celtic Music and Heritage Festival on June 20 & 21.  We need people to help work the gate (which will be outside under one of our pavilions) and people inside at the demo tables (air-conditioning!). Any SCA person who helps in this manner gets in for FREE!

The OK Celtic Festival www.okcelticfest.com<http://www.okcelticfest.com>  attracts people from all over the state (and beyond!) who are interested in some aspect(s) of the history, dance, culture and music of Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Galacia, Brittany, Scotland, and the Isle of Man - and therefore might be interested in joining the SCA. If any of the other Oklahoma groups have any handouts or fliers about their SCA group, we should have table space available for them.

We need people to bring their items to display, a portable craft to work on (inkle weaving went over BIG last year) such as weaving (inkle, lucet, kumihimo), illumination, calligraphy, hand-sewing, leatherworking, chainmail making, and whatever else it is I can't think of right now!  Singers and musicians would be most welcome - and there might still be some free time on the acoustic stage for some small performances!

Crash space is available if you want to work both days. Contact Ly Liliana Byrnes (Liliana at hailmog.org<mailto:Liliana at hailmog.org>) to put your name on the list of SCAers attending; what you are willing to help with (gate, demo, both); what times Sat and/or Sunday can you be there?  Do you need crash space?  According to the Celtic Festival website, there are RV & tent camp sites available on the Expo grounds - but that would be an extra charge. (The Payne County Expo Center pages says RV full electric & water hook-ups are $10 a night.)

Food Vendors will be on hand to offer both Oklahoma favorites like Choctaw style Indian Tacos and Celtic Favorites:  Meat Pies, Irish Stew,
Scottish Stovies, fish and chips, scones and of course Guinness are just some of the treats that await your palette. The two day event offers many activities on and off the stage from Irish and Scottish music and dance, kids activities, Celtic Horses, sheep dog trials, Scottish Athletic competitions, cooking, history demos and displays as well as workshops in music and genealogy. Come learn about the Celtic Heritage of Oklahoma June 20th and 21st.

Estrill Swet
Mooneschadowe

For further persuasion, here's some information taken from the OK Celtic Voice, Issue 43, June 3, 2009 describing the Celtic Festival:

CELTIC COOKING AT THE OK CELTIC FEST

Classess will be conducted at intervals during the two day festival at no additional charge to attendees.
This year we will open the kitchens up to do what they were made to do - cook! We plan to get all involved here as we are scheduling Celtic cooking classes. This will get us exploring Celtic Cuisine first hand.

Local chef Sean Cummings, of the Sean Cummings Irish Pub
Annetta Neal, Stableridge winery
Sandra Williams, owner of Lost Creek Mushroom Farm
Shonna Richardson, Persimmon Hill Farm

FREE MUSIC WORKSHOPS at the Celtic Fest (Schedule subject to change!!)

Saturday:
O'Flaherty's Retreat "beginning" or "intermediate Irish fiddle" (Peggy),
O'Flaherty's Retreat  "learning by ear" (Kevin or Ken),
O'Flaherty's Retreat  arranging for Irish songs and tunes" (Kevin or Ken),
Harp Workshop or circle Tammy Wilcox

Sunday:
Miranda Arana whistle workshop
Steve Vandlandingham  bouzouki/mandolin/ banjo workshop
O'Flaherty's Retreat  "Irish ornamentation" (Peggy, Kevin or Ken),
O'Flaherty's Retreat  "what makes it Irish music" (Ken),
O'Flaherty's Retreat  "dropped-D guitar (Kevin),

Hammer Dulcimer Workshop at 10A in the area by the sales barn (not sure what day though!).

Three Stages, the arena, and various other buildings almost all with music in them at some point in the day. Here's a list of performers - check the web page for the latest schedule.

Galician Dancers; Kirsten Butke Irish Dancers; Oklahoma Academy of Irish Dance; Jean Hill's Irish Dancers; McTeggart Irish Dancers.

Boru's Ghost; Arabesque; All About Irish; Flowers of Edinburgh; Merry Sisters; On the Doss; Jigsaw; Queens Gambit; Russell Family; Tammy Wilcox; Dustin Cooper; John Imes - Piper; Pipe Band; Oklahoma Pipes & Drums; William Ellis; Traditional Blend; Emerald Flame; Eric Herndon; Teresa Black; Grampy and the Pickles; William Ellis; Anam Cronan-Dana Mahar....

 VENDOR LIST FOR THE OK CELTIC FEST

Guitar Wagon--Home to musical instruments guitarwagon at swbell.net<mailto:guitarwagon%40swbell.net>
Bill's Baskets --Authentic style Baskets with roots to Nantucket whalers, Norse WaMjStacy at sbcglobal.net<mailto:WaMjStacy%40sbcglobal.net>
By George--Home to the Celtic Santa Claus and more nancyageorge at yahoo.com<mailto:nancyageorge%40yahoo.com>
Celtic Imports-- Home Tapestries, wind chimes, soap boxes,  jewelry and more
 www.celticsupercenter.com<http://www.celticsupercenter.com>
Mark Art Pottery -Home to Pottery Art
Celtic Store - Home to Celtic Garden crosses and more. www.celticusa.com<http://www.celticusa.com>
Healing Blankets- Home to the herbal blanket jdragonsteff at aol.com<mailto:jdragonsteff%40aol.com>
Heather Braes -Home to Celtic Jewelry
Molten Fusion - Home to jewelry Art  foxfand at cableone.net<mailto:foxfand%40cableone.net>
Lady Originals -home to medieval style clothing www.ladyoringinals.com<http://www.ladyoringinals.com>
Shir Purses
Scotsmans Sharp Edges Home to Knives and swords of the ages
http://www.scotsmanssharpedges.com/

Food & Drink:
Homemade Gourmet- Home to packet gourmet foods www.homemadegourmet.com/deanna<http://www.homemadegourmet.com/deanna>
Absolutly Nuts
J.R.'s Concessions -- Home to Kettle corn, shaved ice and more jmrundle at hotmail.com<mailto:jmrundle%40hotmail.com>
Kolander's Kitchen-- Home to Fish and Chips and more
Reta's Grill--Home to Irish stew, stovies, Choctaw style Indian tacos and more
Miracle Child-- Home to mushrooms and more www.mushroomsinghana.org<http://www.mushroomsinghana.org>
Persimmon Hill Farm--Home to meat pies, scones and more www.phfarm.com<http://www.phfarm.com>
Stableridge Winery-- Home to Oklahoma's own award winning winery with all Oklahoma grown grapes www.stabelridgevineyards.com<http://www.stabelridgevineyards.com>
Beer vendor TBA