[Ansteorra] Event Site Opinion (WAS: the Three Queens website)

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Wed Jun 24 01:26:31 PDT 2009

I think that websites should be as accommodating as possible... Keeping in mind that sometimes throwing up the event flyer is about all they are able to do. It's all well and good to want and expect a really informative and convenient website but if there's not anyone who knows how to create one, it's just not going to happen.

I have seen that the BoD does encourage compliant websites, but I don't see how they can enforce that as a rule without simply forcing quite a few sites down with no expectation of putting them back up. If I have to choose between a mediocre website and no website at all, I'll take the mediocre, please. :)

I feel that the only way that I can say anything about wanting better websites is to offer to create them myself, which I have done for the last three or four events that my Barony has had, and would be happy to do for anyone else who asked. (I really mean that.)

I also feel that we have come along way with information tech in the last few years, as I have seen more and more event websites instead of the just the ad and a few list announcement. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage any effort by boycotting events with mediocre sites, any more than I would boycott an event with a mediocre event ad. (Which, sadly, I see alot of.)

In fact, I would like to thank every autocrat and/or event-website-o-crat who went the extra mile and threw something up on the Internet at all, even if it was just the event flyer. (Like Lord Garreth Silverthane, who consistently creates terrific sites for various events, happenings, and groups in Ansteorra.)

Anyway, that's just my nickel. (It was two cents, but inflation, you know...)

Rose the Obnoxious

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Judge me if you want. We are all going to die. I intend to deserve it.