[Ansteorra] Drinking from a bowl

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 15:15:37 PDT 2009

My understanding is that fork like objects were in use throughout much of
our period as serving implements. It is just easier to cut up large objects
when you can hold it still.

The personal use of forks as eating instruments was still new to Queen
Elizabeth's court in late period.

Spoons were most common for most foods with a personal knife for cutting.
Spoons were being provided for diners by Queen Elizabeth but not necessarily
by her father.

 Eating utensils were personal objects provided by each diner before that,
though plates, bowls, drinking vessels or flat bread platters were generally
provided with the meal.

I believe the use of personal napkins rather than sleeves or table cloths
was also kind of late period. But I do miss the idea of someone providing a
bowl and towel or a damp cloth at the end of the meal.

Claire