[Ansteorra] Two Questions

Karla Norris melisandedf at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:43:09 PDT 2009

So easy.  You must be 18.  You cannot have any animal cruelty charges in the past and you must have facilities appropriate for a mustang.  That varies depending upon the age.  For a yearling, a 5' fence.  For an older horse, a 10' fence and a 20x20 enclosure.  This helps you gentle the mustang.  However, we also have some that have already been gentled and/or trained.  For example, I have a gentled mustang that I am training to the saddle.  I paid $200 for him.  But I also got a horse that was returned, his owner was not caring for him, for $25.  He is fully saddle broken.  However, the normal adoption fee is $125.  We also have an incentive program that if you take a horse over 4 years old, or one that has been returned more than twice, you get $500 after a year.  You do not get title to the horse until you have had it a year.

If you are interested, our website is:

http://www.wildhorseandburro.blm.gov

This has the website that lists where adoptions will be held.

Mustangs are smart, hearty, agiles, and have incredible stamina.  They have had to in order to survive all these years.  In addition, they are usually healthier and have sturdier feet than most domestic horses.  Mine are not shod.  I just get them a pedicure every so often.

My two, Bayard and Ranger are loving geldings, about 3 years old.  I expect to have them both at the next Passe de Arms.

Okay, I know I am going on ad nauseum now...but I believe (obviously) in the program!

Feel free to call me if you like.  I can help you find a good horse....I have connections...I work for the BLM.

Melisande