[Ansteorra] Veiling

Roana roana8 at msn.com
Tue Mar 3 14:17:38 PST 2009

Until VaticanII a woman never entered a Catholic Church without a headcovering of some kind.  I remember as kid using a tissue because we had forgotten our veils (four years of Catholic school where you attended mass every day.)   Most other Christian Churchs had a similar tradition.  You can still see it in Afro-American churchs where the ladies wear fantastic hats. (OK i'm a hat freak)  I would say yes the women wore them as sign of modesty.  Often in art of early period you see harlots with their hair uncovered, ie.  Salome, but women who were respected were veiled.

Roana FitzStephen

Du bist niemand als bei eine Katze ungewissand sind.