[Ansteorra] armors list

John iaenmor at swbell.net
Wed Mar 4 13:38:35 PST 2009

16ga is .0625".  However the currently used standards do allow for a
certain amount of leeway.  Down to somewhere in the range you have
noted.  You can bet the manufacturers are going to tread that bottom
line as closely as they can.  One of the reasons for .0625 is not only
the thickness but also the weight.  The more weight you have on your
head the less your brain is going to slosh around when it gets hit.  A
very simple explanation of the physics of course.  On the other hand if
the helm weights too much the opposite can occur.  The helm starts
moving and the weight is too much for neck muscles to stop the
momentum.  Leading to neck problems.  Anyhow back to the original topic.

Iaen