[Ansteorra] An Anniversary

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:10:10 PDT 2009

Fair Greetings,

Thirty years ago, on a cold, wet Saturday night, history was made.
During court at the Tournament of Chivalry in the Principality of
Ansteorra, Her Highness Tessa of the Gardens announced that she and
Prince Simonn of Amber Isle were creating an award to recognize
prominent rapier fighters in the Principality. To the best of my
knowledge, this was the first official recognition of any sort for
rapier fighters in the SCA.

At that time, there were maybe thirty or forty rapier fighters in
Ansteorra, and a few handfuls scattered about the rest of the Known
World. Benign neglect was about the best we could hope for from most
of the powers-that-be and outright hostility was a pretty common
reaction to the presence of rapier fighters.

But Simonn and Tessa saw farther than most, and realized that rapier
had the potential to add something to Ansteorra and to the SCA as a
whole. Little did any of us realize just how much it would add. So
take a moment to reflect on where you were and what you were doing on
March 10 AS XIII, and to raise a glass to toast the folks who started
the Order of the White Scarf.

Happy White Scarf Day, everybody!

             -Tivar Moondragon
                         Ansteorra