[Ansteorra] An Anniversary

Kimberly Langhans sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 11:16:42 PDT 2009

Shortly after I stepped down as Queen, a Duke asked me to describe what about the reign had made me feel most like a Queen. I replied, without hesitation, "The White Scarves." He seemed confused, because he repeated the question, and said something like, "No, I mean what *really* made you feel like a ruler?" It seemed that to him, the most moving and magical part of being a sovereign in the SCA was inextricably tied to commanding warriors in battle, which makes perfect sense - the thunder and thrill on the melee field at war created the grandest "dream" moments for him, and made him really feel like a king and sovereign.

But for me, the truest and most magical moments as Queen were just as inextricably linked to the White Scarves, and indeed, to the entire rapier community. As the consummate courtiers, they were a source of unwavering love and devotion that was both unexpected and humbling, and truly made real the experience of being Queen. 10 years later, they still make me feel appreciated, and my respect and admiration for them continue to grow as I watch them all continue to fight, serve, and inspire.

To every White Scarf, Cadet, and "free-range" rapier fighter, Happy White Scarf Day, and thank you for everything you add to our game. Your elegance, honor, panache, passion, and spirit have enriched every Queen of Ansteorra, every lady or lord whose honor you have defended on the field, and our entire Society.

To Tessa and every other Queen who in those early years took a chance on our rapier fighters - Joselyn and Julia and Sieglinde and all the rest - thank you for your vision and inspiration.

And to Tivar - Happy 30th Anniversary! Thank you for your years as one of rapier's greatest advocates in Ansteorra and across the Knowne World. We owe you so much.

With deepest respect,
Countess Sara Penrose