[Ansteorra] Metal working kit

hillaryrg at yahoo.com hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 14:28:07 PDT 2009

That would be me who taught that class on Pierceworking.
Catriona from Seawinds taught the compliment class on Acid Etching.
We had a lot of fun!

I see that Coblaith Muimnech has posted the list... wow, that quick to find the handout list, I'm impressed!

In addition to Rio Grande jewelry suppliers (always a must to have them on your supply resouce), Houston has a shop called 'Jemco' that offers most basic supplies and often match prices:
http://www.jemcousa.com/
Jemco also sells at the traveling International Gem show in Houston and Dallas, etc.

The items under Harbor Freight and Tools can be picked up a most good hardware stores (Home Depot, Leows, Ace, Sears).  You can also sometimes pick up the jewelers saws, too.

The item 'Burr-life' under Joanne's Fabrics should really be under the jewelry suppliers, as it's a waxy product to rub onto your sawing blades to aid in sawing through metal, as it keeps the blade lubricated.  A good alternative is the beeswax which you can get at Joanne's Fabrics.

FYI - there is an SCA-wide metalsmith/jewelers group on yahoo:
"Dunstan" <dunstan at yahoogroups.com>
(St. Dunstan was patron saint of metalsmiths and jewelers)

Let me know if there are any questions,
Cheers, Hillary