[Ansteorra] Card Weaving

Haraldr Bassi ansteorra at haraldr.drakkar.org
Thu Mar 26 21:13:45 PDT 2009

What types of patterns are you looking for?

What I normally use for beginning weaving lessons is to have people make a two color warp. You
would do that with 2 spools of thread of two colors. Take all of your cards as a single pack,
pull one thread of each color through a hole with the color pairs next to each other. Now that
you have the four threads, tie a knot in the end of the four threads and then attach that to
your loom. Then, simply wind your warp around your loom, dropping off a card in the same
location as you wind. I assume you are using either an upright loom or a modern inkle loom. Each
time you pass through where you dropped the first card, drop another. When you use up all of the
cards, tie to two ends of the warp to each other.

Now that you have a four color continuous warp, your choices of what to weave are endless. The
simplest basic weave would be to initially turn successive cards so that the color pattern
advances around the four holes of the cards. Split your warp in half and have the left half
threaded in one direction and the right hand side threaded the other direction.

You should end up with a warp that will make chevrons. If the angles don't match, look under the
weaving and you should see the angle lines properly. If that happens, you can swap the threading
direction of the two halves.

Another style you can use with a two color single pack warp is the double faced double turn.
This technique uses all the cards lined up with the same colors around the four corners in every
card.

The base understandings of all techniques is that whatever color passes over the top is what
will appear at the cloth line. For a double faced double turn you would start with the two
colors in the vertical position. By taking two turns forward and two turns backward you will
have the color that started closest to you on top and the other color on the bottom. By
continuing some cards forward when the rest turn backwards you will bring the other color up to
the surface for that position. This will allow you to use the color changes to make letters or
animal or abstract designs. You can plot things out on graph paper or just wing it.

The final technique for two color warp is a much more advanced technique called 3-1 broken
twill. I'd prefer to work with people directly, after they have worked some of the less
complicated techniques.

As for websites, google will bring up many very good quality pages for searches of "tablet
weaving" or "card weaving".

I know there are several weavers up in Steppes who should be able to assist you in working with
these techniques.

Good luck,
Haraldr