[Ansteorra] Rapier armor question

Elizabeth Crouchet elizabeth at crouchet.com
Sun Mar 29 11:16:38 PDT 2009

Irena Fridenberg wrote:
> how many layers must the hood be?

Usually three is the bare minimum that passes, but since my armor is
usually backed up with a shirt as a fourth layer I do all my hoods in
four layers to be sure.

I often do it in two layers over the ears and under other parts that are
covered by hard parts of the mask but all exposed areas on mine are 4
layers.

But all of this assumes I am using at least 5.3 or greater ounce linen,
AND that three washed layers pass the punch tests.

Not all linens or linen colors are the same. Blues tend to be weaker in
my experience while natural is the most long wearing. Guess what color
my inside layers are? The hood is not part of the costume anyway so I
often make my whole hood of just the natural colored linen. It does not
have to match,  like black shoes, it disappears.

Rarely does a fabric pass the punch test at less than 3 layers.

Get linen, get an even or square weave,  get 5.3+ and wash it well and
get it punch tested before you make the hood.

I would count on enough fabric to make the hood 4 layers. That is
usually a good bet when ordering.

You can order linen by weight from Fabrics-store.com.

I hope this helps.

Claire