[Ansteorra] Gilwell Challenges the World

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri May 15 14:25:10 PDT 2009

Back at the first Queen's Champion tournament (spring 1980), Gilwell
challenged the world.

Of course, I had a household then, and the world was smaller.  The five of
us in Gilwell defeated the eleven who were the world.  (To be fair, within
a year and a half, four of those five were White Scarves.)

The world has grown bigger.  And today I have no household.

But my courage has grown no less.  (Some would say the relevant word is
"ego".)

At the Thirtieth Anniversary of the White Scarf, Gilwell challenged the
world once again.

At Steppes Warlord XXXVI, 2:00 Saturday afternoon, Gilwell will face all
comers.  Who is Gilwell?  Well, me and anyone who wishes to fight on the
side of Gilwell.

If you wish to stand at my side, it will be an honor to fight beside you.
If you wish to stand against me, it will be an honor to face you.  And if
that means I'm alone against the Known World, so be it -- I will do my
best.

After this challenge, the Iron Star will be finally held.  (To avoid the
rains that have plagued the Iron Star the last few months, Ulsted has
agreed to fight it at Steppes Warlord.  Go figure.)

And of course, Steppes Champion will be fought Sunday morning.

Come defend the courageous Don who dares to stand against all comers.  Or
come defeat the stupid Don who challenged the world.

But come.

Robin of Gilwell