[Ansteorra] Heraldry Question

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Mon May 25 10:24:28 PDT 2009

Counterchanging a charge is simpling tincturing the charge in reverse of a
divided or treated field.

For example, if the field is per pale or and vert, a counterchanged beast is
per pale vert and or.

What you have suggested would be blazoned "Per pale or and vert, a [beast]
gules." No counterchanging there.

Then you run into some sticky contrast rules, because you technically have
half of your colored beast on a colored field. A better contrast would be
"Per pale vert and gules, a [beast] or."

DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg
Tir Medoin, Ansteorra

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Jasper <captain_jasperc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a question for any of the Heralds out there.
> Is it allowed in SCA Heraldry to use counter changes with 3 different
> colors? ie. The field is per pale Or/Vert while the heraldric beast is
> gules.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
> Jasper C.

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!

Beowulf, 1-11