[Ansteorra] FW: Steppes Warlord Sunday morning

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sun May 17 15:55:04 PDT 2009

What you appear to be suggesting is that you are going to allow people
who are not combat archery authorized shoot at one another.  This would
violate Society Law.

While I was Society CA Marshal I had to constantly remind people of this.

1.  If you are shooting at people is it Combat.  Just because there are
only two combat archers does make it something other than combat.

2. The absolute first rule in the SCA marshals handbook says:

    /I. COMBAT AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENTS/
    /A. General/
    /1. All persons who wish to participate in SCA combat activities
    must authorize under the Society and Kingdom-of-residence
    authorization procedures. SCA combat activities are defined as
    armored combat, period fencing, combat archery, siege, and marshaling./

The rule is clear.  Combat Archery is listed separately from armored or
rapier combat as a distinct type of _combat_ participation and it
requires authorization.

3.  The Rules of the List that we are all supposed to know and that are
part of Corpora and repeated in the Marshals Handbook says in Rules of
the List #2

    /2. No person shall participate in Official Combat-Related
    Activities (including armored combat, period fencing, and combat
    archery) outside of formal training sessions unless they have been
    properly authorized under Society and Kingdom procedures./

4.  If this is a tournament where people are competing, then this is NOT
a formal training session.  It is Combatants in a Tournament.

5.  Bottom line is that if people are going to shoot at one another then
those participants must be authorized for combat.  No exception.
Otherwise you violate corpora.

_*Now*_ at Squires, Cadets, and Arcarius event last spring we held a CA
tournament.

(  rules we used found here
http://www.companystsebastian.net/files/boxtourney.htm  )

Before we had our CA tournament I called the Society SCA Marshal and he
confirmed for the that of course to participate is such a tournament you
had to be authorized  but he also granted the same provision that I had
granted as DSEM CA and allowed that since there would ONLY be CA and no
other combat taking place, as long as all participants were properly
authorized, and properly armed  and armored,  that folks could
participate equipped for either the Armored Combat field or the Rapier
Combat field  as long as all of the bows and ammo where legal on both
the armored and rapier fields (ie.you cant shoot a baldar blunt at
someone in rapier armor, you cant shoot at someone in rapier armor with
a 1000 IP bow, etc.)

Of course if what you intend IKCAC style archery  then never mind.  That
is target archery and not combat so no authorization is required.

Regards,

-EA