[Ansteorra] Original scrolls in Ansteorra (was: Greetings from the incoming Sable Scroll)

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 14:05:59 PST 2009

www.ladydianottos.com/SCA_scrolls.htm
> Thank you for letting me serve.

This topic comes up frequently enough that I feel an explanation would help other scribes who have moved in from other kingdoms.

The Crowns of Ansteorra are very generous in rewarding their people with awards and orders.  As such, the small number of scribes we have in Ansteorra cannot ever hope to keep up with the reign-by-reign demand for non-armigerous, AoA-level, and Grant-level award scrolls.  Rather than leave most award recipients with blank walls, or continue to over-burden our scribes to the point that most quit (because they didn't want to spend events stuck in a corner doing scrolls all day), our kingdom devised a system, which is over twenty years old now, whereby most award recipients will receive a quality document when they are given an award or inducted into an order.  It is not perfect -- no system is -- but it is what works best for us.

Ansteorra uses pre-printed, hand-painted charters for non-armigerous, AoA-level, and Grant-level awards.  In the interest of fairness to all, no original scrolls are accepted or used for awards of this level.  These are created with quality materials, from the paper they're printed on, through the printing process itself, to the paints used, until finally they are filled in with great care and attention by the Crown's Sable Scroll.  The few exceptions are:  (1) occasionally, at the request of a Crown, their Gauntlet & Glove scrolls; (2) Court Barony scrolls for retiring Baron/esse/s in Fief; (3) the Lion and the Rose.

*However*, this does NOT mean that there is no need for original works!  Quite the contrary!  There is more demand for quality original work than our scribes have ever been able to keep up with!

Assignments for original works for the various Ansteorran ceremonial positions (Queen's Champion, King's Champion, etc.) are handed out each reign.  Notices requesting these are posted most usually to the Scriptoris list (Ansteorran scribes' e-mailing list), and may also be published in the Black Star.  These usually have very specific, set deadlines.  If you see one of these opportunities posted, contact the requesting authority and volunteer!

Peerage patents, nobility confirmations, Lion and Rose scrolls, Barony in Fief scrolls, and *all* achievement scrolls are original works, commissioned by the recipient directly.  If you are interested in doing this sort of work, the best way to get
these commissions is to approach the potential client directly, with
your portfolio at hand.  The head of the Ansteorran College of Scribes, Star Signet (currently Mistress Suzanne), can act as a sort of "marriage broker" for persons wanting to commission an original work, but that is usually the extent of Star Signet's involvement.  There are LOTS of peers and nobles who have never received a scroll who would LOVE to have one, so there is plenty of work available for those interested in doing large-scale original works!

The required texts for Ansteorran award scrolls are available at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/award_text.pdf
The required texts for Ansteorran achievement scrolls are available at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/achievement_texts.pdf

*Please* read all of the introductory material in these documents before going to the texts sections themselves!  It will save you a lot of time and trouble in the long run.  95% of the questions I get asked about the awards texts are answered in the introductory material.  ("When all else fails, read the instructions.)

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.

--Serena, Blanc Gryffon Herald
& Deputy to the Star Principal Herald for Awards Texts