[Ansteorra] re.. Original scrolls..

Paulette Doyle gwendolenmciver at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 11:09:23 PST 2009

Speaking as someone that has received both charter scrolls here in
Anstrorra as well as original one of a kind scrolls from the Outlands I
would prefer to get the one of a kinds. That being said, getting people
to make the one of a kind scrolls to begin with will be the hardest
part. Once Everyone ( from the Crown to the person getting their AOA's)
can see the beauty and hard work put into Each scroll there would be no
question.
Part of the problem, as I see, is whose Idea of a
Perfect scroll that can be handed out will we go by?  There will always
be the scribes that can produce "The" most period scrolls but it will
take them over a year to make (Cloistered Scribe).
Then there are the "combat" scribes, the ones that can put together a
scroll in as little as 2 nights, whose scroll will be beautiful but not
as detailed and maybe not as period. Most of the time I only had the
name of the person for less than 2 weeks. And what about the "first
timer"? Will their scroll not be given just because it isn't "perfect"?
I have a scroll (from the Outlands) made by a first time scribe, they
put their heart into it and although it has many mistakes and unusual
color choices (from a "Period" point of view), I would not change it
for the world. Some one took their time,  their budding talent, and
their care and love for me and made me a scroll. and it is one of my
Favorite scrolls. I myself am a scribe, I have made some of the
"unusual" scrolls, I made one one with pressed flowers ( for a woman
who was a gardener), I have Quilted a scroll. I even made a Paint by numbers scroll kit. (the scroll, fully painted and signed by the Crown,on the
top of the box was the real scroll, but there was a unpainted one in
the box with numbers on it in pencil along with the little pots of
paint and one really bad plastic paint brush)
But the scrolls where made for a certain person by a scribe that knew
who was getting the award, and the recipients where always overjoyed
that THEY where thought about when the scroll was made.
I am not
saying it can be done over night, I am not even sure it can be done
here. It would require a MAJOR rethink of how awards are recommended,
how the the Crowns decide who and what and when an award is given out , a total change in
the collage of scribes, as well as how perfect and period a scroll HAS
to be. Also who other than the Crown get to make that choice.
Would I help and make Original scrolls?  YES!  Do I think it will ever come about , here in Ansteorra? No
Just my two brain cells slamming together,
In service to Crown and Kingdom,
HE. Gwendolen McIver

"A Tame and Toothless Tabby can't produce an Lion's Roar."
Harry Chapin