[Ansteorra] "Re: Contents of Ansteorra digest..."

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 09:05:08 PST 2009

Greetings,

Trigger and linen are two different fabrics. I will assume you are
looking for rapier armor quality linen.

We often get it from Fabrics-store.com. They have a consistent and
reliable product and good customer service. Read the fabric
descriptions and customer comments when there are some, they can give
additional info on any particular fabric.

You will want the 5.3 oz or slightly heavier and you will need a total
of 3 layers to pass the armor punch test. You will want the 100% linen
or flax (same thing) in the medium weights most probably, so start
there.

It is generally true and a good bet that 3 layers will pass but not
guaranteed. Some colors, such as the darker blues, tend to wear out
very quickly. You will still need to get a punch test done. That will
require about a one foot square in three layers (this takes about a
1/3 of a yard) to have it tested. You will want to wash that fabric
two or three times and dry it well each time to get the commercial
finish off of it so the fabric will test accurately. Be sure to serge
or finish the ends before you wash it or it will fray away in the
washer.

Some of the heavier fabrics, up to the 7 oz ones, will also work
unless the weave is too loose. You can order swatches.

 The lighter weight fabrics about 3.5 oz can make a decorative outer
layer in addition to the 3 total layers of 'armor' or they make great
linings or the white makes great 'smalls' such a pantaloons or dress
shirts or ruffs.

For shirts and other smalls(underwear) you will want the ILO19, white,
bleached 5.3 oz.   Not optic white and not softened. The optic is too
white to look correct and the softened will not last as long and is a
little more expensive. They always have 20yd bolts of this fabric.
You will most probably want the 5.3 oz white for fighting shirts, it
takes the abuse. It can also double as the third layer of your armor
if you want it too.

If you need lots of fabric, like you are going to make several hoods,
or lots of shirts or several sets of armor, they have some good deals
on 20yd bolts, so check the specials.

I have found that the "natural" color of linen lasts the longest and
stays the strongest. I use that for my inner layers and a nice color
for my outer layers.

I have found that their colors on line are pretty close to what you
expect and if there is a description or name for the color that helps
set the expectations. Do not be too attached to one particular shade.
The computer can only show so much, to match it exactly you have to
have the fabric in hand, BUT I have never been disappointed. The
colors are generally close enough and always something I can work with
easily. Also, dye lots vary so order all you need to do one whole
garment at one time. Don't assume you can get exactly the same color
again and it will match perfectly.

Tip:  After I have washed my linen well and had it punch tested I like
to apply a very heavy starch to it.This makes it fairly easy to work
with while sewing. It keeps it from stretching so much and helps it
glide through the machine. When the garment is finished I just wash it
to get all the starch out and it is ready to wear. Many other people
do not go to that trouble and have produced fine garments. I just find
it helpful.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I hope I have
given you enough info to find what you need or at least get started.

Claire Shayhan