[Ansteorra] New games at BAM

deboramarzec at aol.com deboramarzec at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 05:23:43 PST 2009

There will be some 'new' games this year to include:
 Both 6 and 7 sided Backgammon, from Alfonso's Book of Games 1280's Spain. Described by Master Duncan as 'like playing Backgammon in a dark alley with a cudgel'.
Snakes & Ladders, the board was used in period India as a contemplative and teaching device. Unknown exactly when the board began to be used as a game, but suggested to at least the 16th cent.
Courier Chess, 13th-14th cent German.
And of course the 30th anniversary Rapier edition of the Royal Game of Goose. This board is loosely based on the late period Italian game of "goose' but features members of the Ansteorra Rapier community.

I will also have the usual games; Merels, dice, Byzantine Chess, Chess, Ludus Lantrunculorum, Fox & Geese, Hnefatafl, Backgammon, Gluckhaus, Poch, Devil among the Taylors, Shut the Box, Skittles, Troule et Madame, cards, Washer toss, Spillikins, etc.

All games can be found in the Game Pavilion located on Merchant's row. However, I'm not a merchant, I just have period games available for everyone to play or to learn. Please remember that in period that most, if not all, of these games were played by adults so no unaccompanied children allowed.

HL Debora of Durham.