[Ansteorra] Original Scrolls

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 17:59:46 PST 2009

eleanor cleavely wrote:

> I think the excuse (and, I'm sorry, it is an excuse) that the scribes of
> this kingdom could not possibly keep up with scroll comissions is completely
> off-base. I think that, if we really wanted to and were seriously willing to
> put forth the effort, we could go from charters to originals.

Back in the day the Signet got a list of awards from the Crown Friday
night or Saturday morning and had to get the promissory scrolls done by
Court, then assign a scribe to do the presentation scrolls at a later
date.  The same five or six of us did pretty much all of them.  I, for
example, made over 500 scrolls in my active career as a scribe.  We
(Zinaida, Rose, and I) started a College of Scribes (Scriviners) to
encourage/train more people to help, and it did make a difference, but
in the end the politics of getting the guild charter approved and the
amount of work required to keep scribes constantly churning out original
scrolls was too much and we decided to go with the charter scroll
approach.

I feel relatively certain that if you want to organize and, more
importantly, be the 'whip' for returning to the days when scribes
produced original scrolls to be handed out in court, the Star Signet,
Star Principal Herald, and Sable Scroll would welcome your efforts.  The
hard part wasn't getting started, however: the hard part was keeping it
going, week after week, month after month.  Therein lies the rub.

Best of luck,

Cynric
Star Signet, AS XXII - XXIII