[Ansteorra] Linen and Trigger fabric (was: "Re: Contents of Ansteorra digest...")

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:39:05 PST 2009

At 03:30 PM 11/9/2009, you wrote:

>I am wondering if anyone knows where to get trigger linen fabric at
>a good price online for like rapier hood, jackets and shirts?

Well, first, let me correct a misconception. Linen is a natural
fabric, made from flax plants and commonly used in period. Trigger,
on the other hand, is a modern fabric, made of 65% polyester and 35% cotton.

That being said, I don't think you can *get* Trigger any more--at
least I couldn't find any last spring, when I was looking to make a
new fighting doublet. I had to settle for a fabric called "Target",
which is sold at Joann's fabrics. The stuff I got passed a drop-test,
but since it's *not* Trigger, you'll want to have a sample tested by
your local rapier marshal, to make sure it passes, before you make
anything out of it. Otherwise you may end up with a nice new doublet
that a) can't be used for fighting and b) has a small hole in it. <G>

Note that saying "linen" is like saying "steel"--there's lots of
different types, and you'll want to get the right sort for making
rapier armor. (I expect the fabric junkies can chime in and give you
some better information.) I *think* http://www.fabrics-store.com/ is
the online source I've heard suggested most often.

         -Tivar Moondragon