[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium article for October

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 6 22:16:53 PDT 2009

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
Known World.

I have heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If you
have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the pay
version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may make a
good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving
several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to
the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.

Thanks,
Stefan
==========
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    SC-Estrela-09-msg   The Siege Cooking Contest at the Estrella War
in 2009.
In the COMMERCE section:
    Chndler-Guild-art   "A Brief History of the Worshipful Company of
                           Waxchandlers, London from the 13th to 17th
                           Centuries" by Lady Kate the Candelmaker.
In the DISABILITIES section:
    Sign-Lang-Wed-art   "Wedding Vows Performed in 'Sign Language',
                           and Signs in Other Ceremonies" by Lady
                           Ásfríðr Ulfvíðardóttir.
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
    Hors-Gme-Eqmt-art   "Equipment for Equestrian Games" by Lady
                           Lyonet Lamoureux.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
    cppr-utn-care-msg   Care and cleaning of copper utensils.
    potry-utn-care-msg  Care of pottery cooking utensils.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
    Fire-Starting-art   "Period fire starting and Archimedes Death
                           Ray" by Viscount Sir Corin Anderson.
In the NEWCOMERS section:
    SCA-Housholds-art   "Introduction to SCA Households" by Maistor
                           Justinos Tekton called Justin.
In the PENNSIC section:
    P-Sanitation-art    "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat Idiot"
                           by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji).

In the SCA-INC section:
    SCA-oaths-msg       Swearing oaths in the SCA. Peerage and Officer
oaths.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
    Int-Dyeing-FC-art   "Introduction to Dyeing: Food Coloring"
                           by Mistress Alienor Fitzhenry, OL.

Here are the updated files for this month:
    dairy-prod-msg      Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
    berries-msg         Period berries and berry recipes.
    glasswork-msg       Stained glass, glass etching.   glassblowing.
    high-alt-ckng-msg   Cooking medieval food and feasts at high
altitudes.
    mustard-msg         Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
    soup-msg            Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
recipes.
    West-hist-msg       Histories of the West Kingdom.
---
Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com