[Ansteorra] cloved fruit

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 25 01:15:39 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 11:52 AM, paul rieke wrote:
> I just received an "American Girls" catalog, and the latest one is a
> 70's doll, complete with crinkle gauze top and bell bottoms....
> frightening thought...
> I  seem to remember some of those things, though we didn't get here
> from the East Kingdom until 1981.  Cloved lemons (and watermelons???)
>
> Fedelm ni Uidhir

I think cloved fruit died out here a few years after I joined the SCA
in 1988. I remember a number of revels where the game was suddenly,
rudely ended, when a participant would treat the cloved fruit as a
grenade and heave it into the distance.

For those who might be wondering what all this stuff about cloved
fruit is about, here is some explanation about it, and an apology from
half of the team that dreamed this game up.

cloved-fruit-msg  (13K)  9/29/99    Period cloved fruit. Origin of the
SCA game.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/cloved-fruit-msg.html

Stefan
--------