[Ansteorra] Fw: Re: cloved fruit

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sun Oct 25 15:16:03 PDT 2009

R the O wrote:

> Are we discussing the same practice here? What's being described doesn't seem to match my experiences. Let me outline what I have seen my entire life.
>
>Somebody offers me a cloven fruit. If I accept it, I can put it where ever I like, and the giver is supposed to retrieve it.
>
>I can even choose to remove the clove and place it on the back of my hand, and receive a rather chaste kiss on my hand.
>
>I can hide it in between my lips, on my tongue, or even swallow it. Indeed, there are a myriad of ways to accept a cloven fruit to indicate a variety of meanings, from a token of friendship and courtly love to a token of, well... Nightly love, shall we say?
>
>Is this game played differently outside of the Northern Region?

This game was played differently outside of the 21st century.

When I first joined in the seventies, it always meant the same thing -- a long, close embrace and kiss.  A year or two later, some people introduced the notion that it might sometimes be a closed-mouth kiss (or perhaps I finally met such people).

In any event, you have documented the issue.  It is a public demand to play a sexually charged game for which the two people don't inherently agree on the rules.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin