[Ansteorra] BG Stone Soup

Lisa Sawyer ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:39:57 PDT 2009

I have some leftover prime rib beef bones that have have been waiting in the
freezer to go into a stock pot. I'll dig them out along with whatever else I
can find.

This might help:
http://www.extremelinux.info/stonesoup/stonesoup.html
Once upon a time, somewhere in post-war Eastern Europe, there was a great
famine in which people jealously hoarded whatever food they could find,
hiding it even from their friends and neighbors. One day a wandering soldier
came into a village and began asking questions as if he planned to stay for
the night.

"There's not a bite to eat in the whole province," he was told. "Better keep
moving on."

"Oh, I have everything I need," he said. "In fact, I was thinking of making
some stone soup to share with all of you." He pulled an iron cauldron from
his wagon, filled it with water, and built a fire under it. Then, with great
ceremony, he drew an ordinary-looking stone from a velvet bag and dropped it
into the water.

By now, hearing the rumor of food, most of the villagers had come to the
square or watched from their windows. As the soldier sniffed the "broth" and
licked his lips in anticipation, hunger began to overcome their skepticism.

"Ahh," the soldier said to himself rather loudly, "I do like a tasty stone
soup. Of course, stone soup with *cabbage* -- that's hard to beat."

Soon a villager approached hesitantly, holding a cabbage he'd retrieved from
its hiding place, and added it to the pot. "Capital!" cried the soldier.
"You know, I once had stone soup with cabbage and a bit of salt beef as
well, and it was fit for a king."

The village butcher managed to find some salt beef . . . and so it went,
through potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and so on, until there was
indeed a delicious meal for all. The villagers offered the soldier a great
deal of money for the magic stone, but he refused to sell and traveled on
the next day.

The moral is that by working together, with everyone contributing what they
can, a greater good is achieved.
Ysabeau