[Ansteorra] arrowhead type identification

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Thu Oct 22 16:08:43 PDT 2009

Jay Rudin wrote:

>In the 18th century, the broad arrow was used to mark British government property, since it was a badge of the Earl of Romney, the Master-general of Ordinance around 1700.  I believe the badge continued to be used long after his tenure.

The Broad Arrow continued to mark the King's property well into the 19th
century.  I don't know when (if ever) it ceased being used to mark
property of the British government.  It appeared on items recovered from
the Mary Rose, which sank in the mid-16th century, so the Broad Arrow as
a mark of certain types of official property (at least Royal Navy
property) is late period for us.  I have a sheave recovered from the HMS
Invincible (which sank in 1758) which is marked with the broad arrow.

The penalties for being in personal possession of property marked with
the Broad Arrow were very severe.  I believe it was a capital offense.

  In Service,
    Miles Grey