[Ansteorra] Research Paper Handbook at Barnes and Nobles

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 19:26:36 PDT 2009

The seventh edition came out this year. It's probably much more than $5.98.
When I started grad school, the fifth edition had just come out, and then
the sixth came out just before I graduated.

I suspect the primary motivation for new editions isn't so much new ideas
and developments, but that the market has become saturated with used copies
of the current edition. Release a new edition, and then students and
teachers are obligated to buy a new book. Profits start coming in again.
It's the same old racket with most textbook publishers.

The MLA book is useful for preparing manuscripts in language disciplines
(MLA is the Modern Language Association), but if you are preparing a paper
for a history discipline, the style manual to use is Chicago. I forget which
edition is current, but Chicago also includes guidelines for using footnotes
for in-text citations (much like what is found in most books).

I haven't gotten my seventh edition of MLA yet, and I worry that all hell
will break loose when this is found out. Truth is, the only difference
between the sixth and the seventh edition has to do with online
documentation; specifically, that URL's are no longer required in lists of
works cited. I never paid for the sixth edition, and I'm not in any hurry to
shell out any dough for the seventh.

Pax et bonum,
DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg