[Ansteorra] Arts and Sciences at Lochtoberfest

Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Sep 15 20:24:12 PDT 2009

A call to the Artisans and Scholars of the Kingdom - have you made
your plans to come to Lochtoberfest for All-Hallow's Eve?

It has been 2 years since our last Baronial A&S Competition!  Who
will be chosen next to enjoy the honor and warm hospitality of our
Barony, as the Loch's Artisan?
The choice will be made based on a single static entry, with
documentation.  Scoring will be in three parts: Kingdom forms,
populace choice, and Baronial favorite.  Incorporating the Loch's
colors or emblems - or adapting to the Lochtoberfest theme - will
influence the final decision.  Judging will begin at noon.  Artisans
are welcome and encouraged to sit with their entries while they are
judged.

If you have any special needs, contact me or the Event Steward, Rebekah.

Note: We are also requesting judging teams, consisting of a Laurel,
an Iris, and a Thistle, or some similar combination.  If you would
like the experience of judging, or are willing to mentor some new
artisan judges, please send me a note.

-
Children of the Kingdom, the Loch encourages your artistic medieval
endeavors as well, and wishes to see your results.  We will also be
holding our annual Children's A&S Competition.
Bring your entries to show the world what you can do.  (Yes, this
includes Bardic, Dance, and research.)  Minimum documentation (the
5x8 Index card format below) is required, and must be in your own
words; however, you can ask for help.  There will be a research table
with index cards, research books, and someone to help you between 9am-
noon.  Judging will begin at noon.

Age limit: If you are still a minor in the eyes of the law, but are
regularly entering adult competitions, you are probably too
experienced to enter.  Enter the Baronial A&S Competition, or see
below for an opportunity to learn how to judge instead.

If you have any questions or special needs, contact me.

Note: We are also requesting a few child-friendly judges for this
competition, and youth (too experienced to enter) who wish to help
with the research table or to co-judge with an adult mentor.  Please
let me know if you are willing to help.
----------------------------------
5x8 Index-Card Documentation:
On a 5x8 Index card write:
1. What you are entering.
  - Just describe it in a title - When/where/what technique is good.
"15th Century French Pottery Vase"
2. How others did it in the Middle Ages.
  - When & where did it come from?
  - What did they use it for?
  - What materials did they use?
  - What tools?
  - Do any examples of it still exist?  Find a picture!
  3. How YOU did it.   What did you do differently?  Why?
  - Was it for safety?
  - Were you using the stuff you had at hand?
  - Were you making it for a special purpose?
4. Any references.
  - Write down any books or magazines you used to learn about this,
or the name of the person who helped you.
And put your name on the bottom or back of the card - so we can find
you.
-
More details on Lochtoberfest, such as the German Feast, the Brewing
Competition, the Bardic Challenge, Melees in both styles - and rumors
of witches and flying pumpkins and Newcomers being admitted at HALF-
PRICE - can be found at:
  http://loch-soilleir.ansteorra.org/lochtoberfest.htm

In Service to the Dream,
--H.L. Willoc mac Muiredaig